Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Get Real

Last week I was visiting friends and attending my boyfriend's graduation. Whenever I'm in the area, I usually go to church with Aaron at Main Street Baptist Church in Christiansburg, VA (http://www.msbc.org/). I do not usually attend church on my own, and won't until I find one I feel right with. My mom always gives me grief for not going to church on my own, and I've ignored it thinking to myself that when the right church comes along I'll go there. The day that I travelled down to Blacksburg, someone told me exactly that, so I'll take that as a confirmation.

Anyway, the message from Sunday service was from 1 John 1:5-7. John is talking about what it means to lead a real Christian life. 1 John 1:5-7 specifically focuses on fellowship with God.

"5This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from alla]'>[a] sin."

The key thing to know here is that in order to have a fellowship with God, Because there is nothing remotely evil about God, he cannot become like us. Thus, we must become like him.

Pastor Dr. Tim Hight tells us that our fellowship with God is broken through our sinful choices. Sin makes our character deficient, God's word is valued, and our testimony is defeated. We misrepresent Jesus, and misdirect the one's that are coming to Him. Dr Hight compares our fellowship with God with a lighthouse and a ship in the darkness. If the light is not on, then it cannot guide the ship to safety. Likewise, if our light is out we cannot guide others, and are not in fellowship with God.

Now that I think about it this is a good message to follow my last post. They go hand in hand-- putting on the characteristics of a Christian and being in fellowship with God. I'm still struggling with those characteristics, but I'll get there.

posted under , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
I'm 23, just out of college (Go Hokies!), and decided April 2010 that I wanted to be Christian. You see, I grew up in a Christian household, but never really considered myself Christian, and at some point in high school did not identify my as Christian, but what I dubbed a follower of God. After 7 or 8 years of going from bible study to bible study trying to find God, I only recently learned that I have to accept Jesus in order to find Him.

Recent Comments