Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Sunday I went to church with Aaron and his family; they are members of First Baptist Church (http://firstbaptistbassett.com/). Aaron tells me the morning's praise and worship were atypical-- usually they have their band playing. This particular morning consisted of the quartet group Joyful Sound, the Handbell Choir, a mother and daughter duet, and hymns. I paid most attention to one of the songs that Joyful Sound sung. Its message was about patience. Oh how I need to be patient during this time in my life.

The service message came from Colossians 3:12 - 3:17: "The Christian Wardrobe"- delivered by Pastor Lou Bennett. The main point he drove across was that there are characteristics that we as Christians should always put forth.

Quick background: The apostle Paul wrote to the church of Colosse. Colosse is well-known for it's purplish-red dye collosinus. Colosse with its unique dye manufactured the Dolce & Gabbana of fashion, and the Colossians wore their garments to be distinguishable from everyone else. Paul uses the Colossians' fashion sense as a metaphor to relate to them. Like the Colossians put on their clothes to set themselves apart, as Christians they should put on certain characteristics to show what it truly means to honor God.

Col. 3:8 - 3:10- Paul outlines what characteristics need to be removed in order to make room for the characteristics Col. 3:12 - 3:17. "8But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator."
I have yet to rid my self of all these characteristics. I am a very emotional person, and tend to anger when I'm not getting my way. I try not to express my anger by immediately lashing out. Instead I try to completely just stop and take a breather before re-entering the situation. I never want to lash out and say or do something that I don't mean and will later regret. I place anger and rage on the same table, but I guess anger could be as simple me just having the feeling. It's hard to control something like anger, I mean who doesn't have a teensy bit of anger when something goes against what you would like it to? Actually come to think of it: anger can lead to all the characteristics. Only when angry do I experience rage, malice, slander and filthy language. Well, maybe the slander and the filthy language do occur outside of anger-- speaking negatively and spreading rumors, and just using filthy language to look/feel cool. In other words, mimicking the negative behavior of those around me just so I can fit in with them. The best solution is to be attentive to avoid these characteristics.

The first characteristic that Paul says to put on is a compassionate spirit. "12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

The second, a forgiving spirit. "He who cannot forgive others destroys the bridge over which he himself must pass."- George Herbert
"13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

The third characteristic, a loving spirit, is one that Paul says is above all others. A loving spirit is the glue that keeps us together. It affects our anxiety, the way we are able to worship God, and work. "14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

I wear these characteristics all the time, consciously. Unconsciously, I am unsure. I know for a fact that refocus my mind to love someone, even when it's hard too. Forgiving is a bit harder. I do not forgive initially, I seethe with anger first, then I forgive. I think the more conscious effort I put into wearing the characteristics in 3:12- 3:17, the more I will unconsciously be wearing them. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
I'm 23, just out of college (Go Hokies!), and decided April 2010 that I wanted to be Christian. You see, I grew up in a Christian household, but never really considered myself Christian, and at some point in high school did not identify my as Christian, but what I dubbed a follower of God. After 7 or 8 years of going from bible study to bible study trying to find God, I only recently learned that I have to accept Jesus in order to find Him.

Recent Comments